Product description This old school compilation from Square includes "Final Fantasy IV" (known as "FF2" as a 1991 US SNES release which introduced the Active Time Battle system) and "Chrono Trigger" (1995's precursor to the wildly popular "Chrono Cross").Format: PSX Genre: RPG (VG)/ Rating: T - Teen UPC: 662248901015 Manufacturer No: 9796 Amazon.com The two classic RPGs in this compilation not only represent hours upon hours of story, character, and action, they also present the background for two recent bestselling, critically hailed games: Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross. With all the different names for the original 1991 release of the first title in this compilation (Final Fantasy IV in Japan, Final Fantasy II in the U.S.), role-players new to the game may get confused. Make no mistake, though: Final Fantasy Chronicles marks the first time this pivotal installment of the cherished game series has ever been available on the PlayStation. In Final Fantasy IV, players take on the role of Cecil, a loyal captain who questions the orders of his king, and for it is sent to slay a mysterious beast in a nearby valley. In Chrono Trigger, Chrono must follow princess Marle's teleportation through time and locate her before an intergalactic parasite arrives to destroy the world. The original game, also on the PlayStation for the first time, was one of the first nonlinear role-playing games. The decisions that players make during the game will point them toward one of more than a dozen possible endings. These new versions retain the authentic Japanese SNES stories and characters while updating their graphics and adding new full-motion video sequences and other features.
- The Final Fantasy Chronicles set includes new opening and closing cinematic sequences for Chrono Trigger and re-creations of memorable sequences
- New abilities include a "dash" feature, allowing players to move quickly through towns and dungeons
- 2-player mode allows players to participate in battles together
- Improved localization of the original unedited story
- Includes all the original monsters, abilities, items and scenes that were not seen in the SNES version